Thursday, March 1, 2012

~A Whisper of a Voice~

Hello everyone I decided to start this new blog to share my experiences as a sponsor for a child from Compassion International.





In May 2011 I took my youth group to a two day concert called Praise Wave at Sea World San Antonio.While there I had the privilege of listing to a speaker named Bob Lenz who introduced and convicted me to support an organization named Compassion International. One of my youth group members, another sponsor and myself decided to each sponsor a child. The name of my little girl was Maria from Ecuador.

You don't see a picture of Maria because I only sponsored her for two months.  I decided that it probably wasn't a good time in my family's finances and I really didn't have time to sponsor a child. But I believe God had other plans for me.

It seems like everywhere I turned I was hearing about Compassion. Compassion the company, having compassion, bible studies about compassion etc. but guess what I continued to ignore it. It is not the right time I would tell myself.

This past fall my heart broke and swelled hearing Casting Crowns give their Compassion International testimonials. A great family I am friends with made the commitment to sponsorship of 3 kids that night. I still didn't make a move.  Someday I thought!

In January at a Newsboys Concert I again listened to Bob Lenz and felt that same tug at the heartstrings but again I didn't move but one little thing changed for me.

I  started to pray about whether or not I should just take the plunge and sponsor another child.

With all the good intentions of the past year and even the original sponsorship that is what was missing.

Prayer!

Finally at the end of  January, Compassion International sent out a mailing that included postcard pictures of actual children to sponsor. Wow! A face to the poverty that has been on my heart for almost a year.  There were 8 children from many different countries all over the world. I finally said its time.  I prayed over the card and took them to my husband.  I told him how much I have had this charity and these children on my heart.  Together we chose a girl from Kenya named Sandy who is 11.  I called and was told she had been assigned to another sponsor. Sadface!  I looked at sponsoring the other children that were sent and guess what they were all sponsored. Awesome right!

So back to the drawing board.  I decided to head to the Compassion International and look at the children that needed sponsorship. Oh my goodness so many! How to choose?

I decided to stick with Kenya and looked at the girls.  I was planning on sponsoring a girl around the same age as Sandy but then I saw this beautiful face.

Kathamabi Mwandikwa


It was like God tapped me on the shoulder and said here is your new daughter! I showed my kiddos and they were enchanted as well! So now she is a part of our family!

Compassion International is an organization that assist in child sponsorship and development. As a sponsor you play a vital role in making the possible for children all over the globe to have  About two weeks ago my family and I sponsored a child through Compassion International.  I want to tell you God has really moved in me and changed my heart. I want to be a voice for Child Advocacy even it is just a whisper of a voice.

Blessings,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment